A girlfriend put me onto this recipe a few weeks and I HAD to share with you guys because it’s so darn fine, I just wanna eat all these balls up, all the time!
One disclaimer is you probably need to like peanut butter to enjoy these, but if you don’t, not to worry – just replace the peanut butter with a different nut butter you like! I imagine almond butter would taste pretty good.
The recipe is from BakePlaySmile who has some seriously amazing recipes. This one is particularly great because it attacks any sweet cravings you might have, and they’re healthy as they’re full of fibre from the dates and almonds!
I swap the cacao for chocolate protein powder for an extra little boost – I usually only need one to keep the hunger gremlins at bay. I hope you love these as much as I do!
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- 1 tbs cacao powder (you could also use cocoa powder)
- 12 pitted dates
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- 1-2 tbs agave syrup (honey or rice malt syrup could also be used) *If using fresh medjool dates you will probably find that you will only need a tiny amount of agave syrup – or none at all!
- Place the dates, cacao powder and peanut butter into a food processor.
- Blend until the mixture resembles a paste.
- Add the almonds and pulse until desired chunkiness is achieved (don’t leave it too long or it will turn into a liquidy mess!!!).
- If your mixture is too dry, add 1tbs of agave syrup and pulse to mix through. If it is still too dry add another tablespoon and pulse again. (The mixture should be a little sticky and roll easily into balls).
- Use a spoon to roll the mixture into tablespoon sized balls.
- For best results store in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within a week (trust me.. they won’t last that long!!).