So I couldn’t help myself; rather than working on items for Coco I’ve made some taggie blankets and cushions for girlfriends who have babies on the immediate horizon, and had baby showers over the last 2 weekends.
I haven’t worked with minky before but I was super keen to give it a whirl. I’ve heard it’s a very slipper fabric to work with which is why I haven’t tried using it as a backing for a quilt yet, and my gosh, minky really does like to slip and side everywhere!
It’s also the first time I’ve made taggie blankets and it was such a fun process. I used Cassie’s tutorial (find it here) to step through it, but it’s a pretty easy process really. I made mine 8 x 8″ so it’s really a travel type taggie blankey.
The first cushion I made was a bunting cushion with an applique on the front, along with a coordinating taggie blanket. This cushion is for a baby girl, and I used a very cute pastel based animal fabric for the bunting flags, back of cushion and back of the taggie blanket. The applique and binding was done in a very light, sweet green.
Applique Cushion + Taggie Blanket
Back of Taggie Blanke
Front of Taggie Blankey
The second cushion and taggie blanket I made couldn’t be more opposite! This is for a boy whose parents love anything Star Wars / superhero / Pokemon related. I was able to utilise various Star Wars fabrics that I had in my stash from completing this cushion, and used a disappearing 9 patch quilt block to create the final look. I’m really pleased with how this turned out, as I personally love the punches of red and yellow throughout the top.
Front of Star Wars Cushion
Back of Star Wars Cushion
Front of Taggie
I’m excited to give the Star War cushion and taggie blanket to my girlfriend this weekend – I can’t wait until she opens it, because I have a feeling she’s going to be over the moon!
Now that I’ve got these out of my system, I’m moving onto items for Coco including a gender neutral baby mobile, and of course, a quilt and cushion for Coco! I’ll be cross stitching an adorable fox pattern which I’m going to sew into Coco’s cushion. I’m thinking of using a jelly roll for Coco’s quilt so I’m in the process of finding some jelly roll quilt tutorial inspiration, as I haven’t used one before!
I’m really looking forward to making some handmade items for our bundle of love.
I did it. I finally finished my 3rd and final Harry Potter sample cross stitch / cushion!
Not going to lie, I did a MASSIVE happy dance when this commission was all done .. It’s been a hard slog for these! There are SO many stitches, so many colour changes, and so much detail that it takes me weeks and weeks to stitch these.
Don’t get me wrong, the end result is always, always worth it. Just as seeing my client’s face when they receive their cushion is worth it. Here’s the final one I completed.
Aubergine surrounds for the cushion along with turquoise binding, and a simply lapped zipper back. I added a floral decorative stitch to the back of the cushion just as a lil’ something.
This was completed a couple of weeks ago, we’ve just been busy over the last few weeks and I haven’t had time to post anything.
FINALLY! My 3rd and final Harry Potter sampler cross stitch is finished!!!!
I am beyond excited to be done with this in all honesty.
I love cross stitching. I love the methodical nature of it, and of watching it appear before my eyes. I love that it takes patience to complete, and I love that it keeps me occupied whilst we watch a movie (because lately, I always fall asleep before the end of a movie and never get to see the finish!).
But stitching this 3 times has been a mammoth task. There’s SO many stitches in this pattern, and it’s so intricate..
But anyway, IT’S DONE! It’s been washed and ironed and I began sewing it into a cushion last night. I’ll be posting once this order is done as I love the colours my client requested.
It’s all finished! This framed cross stitch is to go with the most recent Harry Potter sampler cushion I completed, and is for a brand new baby boy. I love this cross stitch for young kids – they will no doubt get into some mischief as they grow and learn :)
We used colours very similar of Ravenclaw’s in order to suit the blue and forest theme of the nursery, and I chose a wood grain frame in order to suit the theme also.
It was such a quick and fun one to stitch – only 2 weeks on and off in total, which is a very nice comparison to the sampler cross stitch!
You can find a link to the pattern here if you’d like to create your own – happy stitching!
So it’s been Arctic quiet on here lately and I apologies for the silence .. It’s been a busy time at the crosstitchery household, as I’ve been working my tail off on this latest commission.
My previous commission was for the Harry Potter Sampler cross stitch which you can see here.
This commission was such a hit that I received another 2 orders for the same pattern before we left for Japan. This patterns takes a long while to stitch – working full time, maintaining a household and having a social life impacts on my time to stitch, but I try and fit in at least an hour every day to gradually chip away at it.
I’m happy to say I’ve nearly finished the first portion of this commission, here’s a progress photo.
The flags are by far the hardest part of this commission. There’s so many stitches in each one that it usually takes me like 5 hours just to complete one!
I’ll be turning this completion in a cushion also, with wood grain fabric to create the cushion as this commission is for a new baby who has a forest theme nursery.
The second part to this commission is another Harry Potter cross stitch which we will be framing. It’s based on the Marauder’s Map, and is so darn cute for a new baby boy.
I’m looking forward to getting this sampler finished and whipped into a cushion so I can start stitching a new pattern soon :)